Q. I forgot my password, how do I reset my password?
If you have forgotten your password, you may be able to use the Brightspace login page to self-service reset your own password 24/7. Otherwise, you can submit a support ticket.
If you cannot login to your account because it is telling you your password is wrong or invalid, you will need to reset your password and try logging in again. If you have ever logged into our Brightspace system in the past year (year-to-date), you can reset your password yourself using the below steps. If you have never logged into Brightspace, you will need to submit a support ticket for assistance.
How to reset your password using our Brightspace login page
This will only work if you have logged into Brightspace with YCCC within the last year.
1. Go to our Brightspace login page.
2. Enter your YCCC email address, which is in the format of firstname.lastname@example.org. Your username if you are a student is usualy the letter s followed by your first and last name, like sJohnSmith. If you are an adjunct, your username is usually first initial followed by last name, like JSMith. Staff accounts are usually the letter y followed by first initial and last name, like yJSmith.
3. On the password screen, click where it says Forgot my password.
4. On the next screen, verify that the User ID is your YCCC email address. If so, enter the charatcers in the below box into the field below the graphic just as you see them. You can click the speaker symbol to have a voice read the code if your sound is on, or click the refresh button (the two circling arrows) to generate a new code. Click next when you are done.
5. On the verification step 1 screen, you will be shown all of the methods you initially set up for account recovery options when you first logged in. These may be either an alternative email, or a phone number that can receive text/phone calls. Select the method you want to use, and if its an email verify that it is your alternative email (not your YCCC address). If you pick one of the phone options, enter your phone number that you provided during the first set up (the message on this page will show you the last 2 digits of the phone number you provided). Click next.
6. If you initially set up both an alternative email and a phone number, the next screen may ask you to also verify the secondary option you did not pick for added security. You can follow the directions in step 5 of this guide for that.
7. On the next screen you may also need to click an extra button to send the code to your requested method (email or phone).
8. Check your phone or email account for the code that was sent. This may take several minutes to arrive depending on your network connection or phone provider. Once you have the code, you can enter it into the box on the screen. Click next.
9. The final screen will give you two fields where you can enter your new password. Your new password will need to meet the following minimum requirements:
- Minimum of 8 characters
- Contains both numeric and alphabetic characters*
- A password history of 6 instances will be retained in the system. Meaning users can not repeat passwords until after 6 unique ones have been used.
- Contain characters from three of the following four categories:
- English uppercase characters (A through Z)
- English lowercase characters (a through z)
- Base 10 digits (0 through 9)
- Non-alphabetic characters (for example, !, $, #, %, etc.)
- Your password cannot contain words or patterns from your username (three consecutive characters).
Once you have entered your new password, click finish and you are all set.